Sustainable & economical industrial water recycling systems
What is wastewater recovery?
Wastewater recovery is the extraction of clean water from industrial wastewater and effluent. This reclaimed water can be recycled and reused within the plant for processes such as cooling tower or boiler blowdown. Alternatively, it can be sold on for irrigation or other purposes.
What are the benefits of wastewater recovery?
Water is an increasingly valuable resource, with fragile freshwater ecosystems under growing strain to meet demand. Recovering and recycling water from wastewater is the sustainable alternative.
What’s more, the rising cost of scarce freshwater means it’s often more economical for industrial plants to recover water for reuse as process water.
Other key advantages of wastewater recovery include:
- Cheaper effluent disposal: lower spend on storage, transport & disposal
- Better compliance: meet ever-stricter discharge consents
- Self-sufficiency: reduced reliance on scarce freshwater supplies
- Higher production capacities: clean water is consistently available
- Energy saving: no need to pump in water from other locations
- Corporate citizenship: good company PR in a time of growing environmental concerns
What wastewater recovery systems are there?
There are a variety of industrial water recycling technologies:
• Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF): separates suspended solids, oils and grease from wastewater
• Aerobic wastewater treatment: breaks down organic contaminants using oxygen and aerobic microorganisms
• Anaerobic wastewater treatment: breaks down organic contaminants using anaerobic microorganisms in the absence of oxygen
• Clarification: removes suspended solids and flocs (particles) by allowing them to settle
• Vacuum evaporation: separates contaminants with high boiling points from wastewater
• Reverse osmosis: removes impurities using a semi-permeable membrane
• Ultrafiltration: removes impurities using a semi-permeable membrane
• Deionisation: removes total dissolved solids via ion exchange
Want to find out more about wastewater recovery? Fill in the form below and one of our wastewater experts will be in touch.