AnoxKaldnes™ Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor (MBBR)
Biological water treatment system for industrial & municipal markets
AnoxKaldnes™ Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor (MBBR) is a biological wastewater treatment system for industrial and municipal markets.
First devised over 40 years ago, it’s now used by over 1000 sites worldwide to remove biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), ammonia and nitrogen from process water and wastewater.
How does AnoxKaldnes™ MBBR work?
MBBR biological wastewater treatment involves thousands of plastic biofilm carriers. These have a large protected surface area which provides optimal conditions for microbial growth.
The carriers are suspended and circulated in a wastewater tank by air diffusers (aerobic treatment) or mixers (anaerobic treatment). Biofilms grow on the surface, separating microorganisms from the wastewater.
Retention sieves keep the biofilm carriers in the tank while the excess sludge and treated water flow out, ready for discharge or further treatment.
What is AnoxKaldnes™ MBBR used for?
MBBR wastewater systems are ideal for both new and existing sites in the industrial and municipal sectors. They help facilities optimise their wastewater treatment processes, meet ever-tightening discharge consents and avoid non-compliance penalties.
As well as a sole treatment, MBBR can also be used as pre- or post-treatment alongside other processes such as activated sludge.
AnoxKaldnes™ MBBR is available as a standard prefabricated package with the following advantages:
- Efficient: highly effective at removing biological wastewater contaminants
- Cost-effective: particularly economical as a pre-treatment upstream of existing processes
- Short delivery time: fits on a truck for easy and quick transportation
- Fast assembly: “plug & play” connections reduce on-site construction time
- Compact footprint: ideal for limited space
- Easy to use: minimal staff training required
- Reliable & robust: low maintenance and downtime
- Handles variable loads: great for plants with treatment load peaks
- Can be linked to other technologies: simple to connect to pre-existing wastewater treatment processes
AnoxKaldnes™ MBBR is also available in flexible bespoke configurations, customised to meet your site’s specific needs and goals.
- Want to find out more about AnoxKaldnes™ Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor? Fill in the form below and a lab water expert will be in touch.
Technologies for safe, environmentally compliant wastewater treatment systems and sewage treatment plant operations.
Sustainable & economical industrial water recycling systems
Energy-efficient effluent treatment technologies for resource reuse and environmental compliance.