Industrial Water Distillation
Traditional, reliable and effective water purification using a heat source
We offer a range of distillation technologies that produce highly purified water for industrial markets, including pharmaceutical and cosmetic.
What is distillation?
Distillation is a traditional water treatment process that removes impurities using heat. This proven method is a very effective and reliable way of purifying water, removing 99.9% of contaminants such as bacteria, viruses, heavy metals and minerals.
How do industrial water distillers work?
Feed water is heated until it evaporates, leaving behind contaminants (with higher boiling points) as residue. The steam passes into another vessel, where it’s cooled and condensed back into its original liquid form. The result is highly purified distilled water.
What are the benefits of distillation?
As well as optimum effectiveness, distillation offers several other advantages:
- Reliability: high operating temperatures cut contamination risk and ensure consistently pure water
- Versatility: can treat any type of feed water
- Simple operation and maintenance: no physical barriers or membranes
What is industrial water distillation used for?
Distillation is ideal for pharmaceutical, cosmetic and other industries that require large volumes of highly purified water. Within the pharma industry, it’s the traditional method of producing compliant Water for Injection (WFI) for use in products introduced directly into the blood stream.
Distillers can be integrated with other treatment processes, such as reverse osmosis (RO), continuous electro-deionisation (CEDI) or ultrafiltration, to ensure complete water purification.
What types of industrial water distiller are there?
Our popular Polaris range of compliant, high capacity systems includes the following types of distiller:
- Multiple effect (MED): feed water is evaporated in a sequence of vessels (“effects”), each at a lower temperature than the last
- Vapour compression (VCD): feed water is evaporated using compressed vapour as the heat source
- Clean steam generator (CSG): feed water is evaporated into pure steam for equipment sterilisation and other applications
How can you get the most out of your distillation system?
You can optimise your Polaris system through our full range of water tech services. From Hubgrade digital monitoring to maintenance support, our packages help your technology perform better and last longer – saving you time, money and hassle.
Want to learn more about industrial water distillation and how it could benefit your business? Take a look at our products and case studies below.