Veolia multi-utility contract for Tata Steel Packaging
Primary Metals Case Study
Tata Steel was looking to achieve long-term savings and efficiency improvements in respect of its effluent treatment plant, boiler house and waste management activities onsite. Tata Steel wished to develop a multi-utility outsourcing strategy with an experienced utility provider who could offer operations and management within a single point of contact, allowing them to concentrate on their core activity.
Veolia Water Industrial Outsourcing (VWIO) offered a ten year multi-utility outsourcing contract, calling upon the expertise and resources of three Veolia Environnement divisions – Veolia Water, Veolia Energy and Veolia Environmental Services. The tailor made integrated solution includes:
- Management and optimisation of the existing effluent treatment plant and upgrade of instrumentation and control to a modern SCADA telemetry system.
- Design, build, own, operate and maintain a new boiler house facility
- Site waste management services
The contract provision has evolved to include continuous improvement as a key part, this has allowed:
- The installation of a new treatment plant to improve the efficiency of Chrome VI reduction to Chrome III, this improves the final discharge quality and provides significant cost reductions
- Optimisation of the dosing regime to improve the hydraulics of the effluent treatment
- The introduction of waste recycling
Within the partnership Veolia Water Industrial Outsourcing and Tata Steel continue to deliver sustainable environmental and cost saving benefits to the Trostre site through targeted investment and optimisation of the effluent treatment facility and operation of the gas fired boiler facility. As a result of the project, Tata Steel benefited from significant ongoing cost savings and environmental benefits delivered through operational efficiencies and technical optimisation, reduction in filter cake tonnage from ~12500t/yr to ~6000t/yr and increased energy efficiency and security of supply.